Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MLK Weekend Skiing with the boys: Sunday

Aidan Luka and I skied at Winter park on Sunday January 17th and on Monday January 19th-Martin Luther King day. 

We had two great days of skiing, with lots of helmet cam footage to show for it. Luka learned to ski this weekend!

Saturday evening we spent with Nick and Elizabeth and kids. I made a sortie over to Breeze Ski rentals to get Luka skis for Sunday. When we got home from visiting, we rallied all our gear together and Mommy got vittles for us to eat on the Mountain.

Sunday 

Sunday morning we rallied early and made it up the mountain with no traffic. We got a good parking space at the Blue Spruce lot, geared up and were on the bus to the slopes. I showed Aidan how to bind his skis and poles together which seems to drastically help ski logistics frustration.

We started at the discovery park area and had some frustration with luka and turning. He would bail out by sitting down and sliding. We did a few runs there but Aidan was getting bored. We got separated at one point, but Aidan appeared at the top of the lift. He'd been waiting for us.

I decided to take Luka up to the top of the Zephyr since it services some nice long green runs and because Aidan could ski the big blues. I had Luka hang onto my ski pole while I pulled him along the too gentle cat track (it looks like "March Hare" but it's hard to reconcile memory with the map). This was very successful and he was able to figure out how to turn his skis to stay with me. Further down, where it was steep enough, he was able to figure out how to turn and control his speed by snow plowing.

We lost Aidan at one point, but I had made him memorize my phone number and I recieved a phone call from a ski patrol who had him at the top of Gemini Express. We skied down as quickly as we could and met them. We thanked the ski patroller who explained that Aidan had been helped by a ski racer who hooked him up with the ski patrol.

We met some parents we know at Docs Bar and had lunch. Their kids were in ski school so no hope of hooking Aidan up with any peers.

We did a bunch more Zephyr top to bottom runs. During one of the Zephyr runs, I was giving Luka a little push, and I sort of ran him over. When I did, his legs must have done the "splits" and the "edgie-wedgie" snapped. The helmet cam footage is pretty dramatic and audible!

Luka was kinda freaked out because "I needed that!". I assured him that he could make it down without them and he had to try. I pulled him down the track and he did very well keeping his skis straight and then snowplowing when he needed to, and turning just the right amount. In a few minutes he had it figured out and he was doing better than he had with the edgie wedgie!

It started snowing lightly and without edgie-wedgie, it was all very dramatically rapid improvement. We did run after run and Aidan was very proud of his little brother, and told him how well he was doing. I was pretty proud too.

We finished up the day at about 3:30 or 4 and jumped on the bus back to the car. Everyone was pretty tired, but no complaining. The snow was picking up a bit, and so the drive over Berthoud pass was slow, but steady. Once over the pass it was dry as a bone and no traffic!! Both boys fell asleep and I listened to Physical Graphiti.

We were home by 5:30. The boys were excited to see mom and I crashed on the couch.

No comments: