Tuesday, June 16, 2009

AK Trip Day 2: Monday June 15

The fishing trip rocked, but it's day 3 and I have to feed and rally the boys. I'll write about the day 2 fishing trip later.

Below is a start...

Spent the morning writing blog for day one and researching fishing outfits. We decided to hit the little Susitna for Kings, but I needed a fishing license, provision and be at the boat ramp at the little Susitna by Noon-That's about 100 miles away and I was herding cats.


I had been on the phone 3 or 4 times in the morning with Alaska Susitna Charters, to solidify plans. Lauri on the other end was relating how Greg had been on the river for days with clients and would kill for a huge cup of coffee and could I please bring him one. The way she talked I was imagining this guy falling asleep at the orrs.

I threw everything into my motherload backpack and we rallied, which means me yelling and herding them into the car. The drive to Wasilla was beautiful and of course Luka fell asleep. I woke him, we all went into Fred Meyer, got the fishing licence + king salmon tag and provisioned (chips, soda pop and a cooler) ($20 license + $10 king salmon tag, $3 cooler, soda, chips, bread). We stopped at Carl's Jr. for some vile fast food and headed down the Knik Goose Bay rode to the landing.

The drive from Wasilla was longer than I figured and the boys nearly heard me say a bad word a couple times when I started wondering if I'd missed a turn or something on the long gravel Point Mackenzie road. I remembered that I needed to buy a coffee for the Greg the guide and luckily there was a roadhouse with fresh coffee.

We found the obvious boat launch fee area, ,paid the $5 parking, parked and coffe in hand, went looking for our guide. I started asking around for Alaska Susitna Charters and it wasn't long before someone said "Hey is that coffee for me? You must be my new best friend!"

That's when I knew it was going to be a good day.

No comments: